It’s finally New Years Eve and I was reflecting on all of the books that I read this year. Despite being in school and now having a part-time job I still managed to successfully meet my reading goals for the year. Overall, it’s been a pretty good reading year as almost all of the books that I read this year, I ended up really enjoying. I wanted to reflect on my top 10 novels that I read this year (not all of these were published in 2017).
Favourite Books/Series (not in any particular order):
- A Court of Thorns and Roses Series by Sarah J Maas – I started off the new year last year with this series, and it was the first series that I had read by Sarah J. Maas and I’m so glad that the book store employee told me to pick them up because they were so so good, and now Sarah J Maas has become one my all time favourite authors.
- Without Merit by Colleen Hoover – I got this on my kindle the day it came out and I wasn’t disappointed. Colleen Hoover never fails to bring a heart-wrenching story to her readers full of emotion and beautiful prose. I read this book so quickly (I believe in one day) because it had me hooked from the start.
- Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood – Margaret Atwood has such a talent for creating intricate and complex stories and after reading some of her other work I decided I should also read this! This is a story that will probably stay with me for awhile.
- The Wrong Side of Right by Jenn Marie Thorne – I read this in the early months of summer and I really loved it. It’s such a cute contemporary read that you can get through really quickly, and I think that those are always good to read once in awhile especially in the summer. I really loved the plot in this one and the whole political scene that was set up in this book really interested me.
- The Dazzling Heights by Katherine McGee – I was lucky enough to get this as an ARC and read it before it was published and it was amazing! I really love the whole premise of both The Thousandth Floor and the sequel and following the drama filled lives of all the characters!
- A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray – Another really interesting book that I read in the summer. I never read a book that took place in multiple dimensions before, it was like a time-travel book but better! I loved this book for its originality!
- Ruined by Amy Tintera – A fantasy novel that kept me on edge the entire time as the plot unfolded! Very action packed!
- Before Now by Norah Olsen – I was also really lucky to get this as an ARC! I loved this book so much as it was told in a reverse timeline that was brilliantly done! Definitely one of my favourites of the year.
- Frostblood by Elly Blake – I liked how this book built up the world and the contrast between frost bloods and fire bloods and illustrated how Ruby the main character learned to use her abilities.
- Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas – Though I’m not technically finished this series, it has already made it to my absolute favourite series/books of the entire year. I love Sarah J Maas’ ability to create such elaborate worlds and magic systems while maintaining such lovable characters!
Least Favourite Books I Read this Year:
Though most of the books I picked up this year I really loved, some of them just weren’t personally for me. Some of these include:
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
- The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
- The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black (audiobook)
In sum, I found myself this year straying away mostly from the romance and contemporaries which in previous years I would cling to (I own every single Nicholas Sparks book), and gravitating more towards fantasy novels and books that take place in another world. A lot of this year I was also in a reading slump for some reason which probably contributed to the reason why I didn’t love some of the ones I mentioned as being my least favourite, because I’ve come to have an expectation for novels to move fast plot-wise and to have a lot of action. If I get bored in the middle of a book, I lose interest right away.
In 2018, I hope to continue my fantasy/sci-fi trend, and I really hope to start reading more from Brandon Sanderson. Currently I am listening to Elantris and I absolutely adore it, the Mistborn Trilogy is the next series I want to pick up once I am finished with Throne of Glass!
I hope everyone had an amazing reading year in 2017! Happy New Year!